Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RekLam iÇin Kaan_Kilic24@hotmail.com

AnasayfaAramaLatest imagesKayıt OlGiriş yap

how to avoid colloqual(informal) writing

Aşağa gitmek 
4 posters
YazarMesaj
Kaan
$éF
$éF
Kaan

Erkek Mesaj Sayısı : 392
Yer : GooGLé !
Lakap : CyberVirüS
Kayıt tarihi : 28/02/08

how to avoid colloqual(informal) writing Empty
MesajKonu: how to avoid colloqual(informal) writing   how to avoid colloqual(informal) writing Icon_minitimeCuma Mart 07, 2008 10:17 pm

=>
Understand what formal English is. Realize that if you write the way you talk, you most likely will end up using informal English. You even may find yourself committing grammatical errors! Remember, too, that talking informally can make the listener feel more comfortable, but writing informally can make the readers think less of you. Know when to use informal English and when to use formal English, and discover which style comes more naturally to you.
=>
Understand basic English punctuation. In fact, you should follow this rule in all of your writing (although it is particularly important in formal English). Punctuating your writing as you go along can reduce your risk of leaving out punctuation marks. In a formal letter, you use a colon, not a comma, as in "Dear John:"
=>
Realize that some punctuation is not acceptable in extremely formal English. The dash, the parenthesis, and the exclamation mark are not universally acceptable. In the most formal English, you should use the exclamation mark only when a character screams, "Fire!" or "Help!" You should avoid the parenthesis and the dash at all times in this style unless you quote an author who used them first. You should avoid the parenthesis and the dash in discourse that you transcribe yourself. Try to replace your dashes with colons in formal writing.
=>
Avoid using common colloquial words and expressions, as listed below. Again, these are words that, while acceptable in speech, should not be used in formal writing. Colloquial words and phrases are called "colloquialisms." There are also solecisms, such as "ain’t," which are grammatical errors. Finally, there are nonwords, combinations of letters and characters that do not form real words, such as "alot." If you are in doubt about a certain word, look it up in the dictionary. If the dictionary makes no comment about it, but it sounds informal to you, consult another dictionary. A dictionary will label an incorrect word such as "ain’t" as "Nonstandard" and informal word as "informal," "colloquial," or "slang." Some dictionaries also include phrases. For example, when you look up "to put up with" ("to tolerate") in the dictionary, you will see that it is informal.
=>
"Omit needless words." Some adverbs and phrases significantly reduce the formality of your writing while adding little to it. A good phrase to delete is "you know." This phrase implies that you know what the reader knows or is thinking while reading your paper; you do not have this power. Some adverbs, such as "well" starting a sentence, often are needless. Starting a sentence with "well" can be useful in everyday writing as a way to contrast the sentence with what came before. Realize, however, that many writers use "well" too frequently.
=>
Avoid contractions. Contractions dramatically reduce the formality of your composition. Depending on how formal you need to be, you may want to avoid all contractions or use fewer contractions in your writing than you would use in your speech. "Cannot" is preferable to "can’t" in formal contexts. Some contractions such as "o’clock" (for "of the clock") are so commonplace that they are condemned in only the most formal writing.
=>
Try to avoid the first and second person. Formal writing often tries to be objective, and the pronouns "I" and "you" tend to imply subjectivity. Phrases such as "I think that" can be deleted from a sentence when it is obvious that this is the author’s opinion. Using the pronoun "I" is almost always acceptable in personal writing, and the pronoun "you" is almost always acceptable in letters and how-to’s. In the most formal writing, "we" replaces "I," and "one" replaces "you." "One" also may be useful when you have a statement that does not apply to all of your readers. Finally, "one" can be useful in a letter when you have a statement that applies not to the reader but to people in general.
=>
Do not hesistate to split an infinitive even in the most formal writing when it is warranted. See How to Learn Perfect English As a Native English Speaker, tip one for a thorough explanation.
Do not be afraid to separate the auxiliary (helping) verb and the main verb. See How to Learn Perfect English As a Native English Speaker, tip two for a thorough explanation.
=>
Know when to end a sentence with a preposition (even in the most formal of English). See How to Learn Perfect English As a Native English Speaker, tip three for a thorough explanation.
=>
Always include the relative pronoun. In speech and casual writing, you can say, "That was the boy I saw on the street" and make yourself clear. In formal writing, you should say, "He was the boy whom I saw on the street." In this style, you should be sure to always include "whom" even when it is not necessary to your meaning. Also consider this example: "There were five students who were complaining about the homework." If the relative pronoun is omitted, "complaining" becomes a kind of postpositive adjective, and the sentence is written completely in the neuter voice, with "were" as the only real verb.
=>
Do not start a sentence with a coordinating conjunction. In the written language, do not use coordinating conjunctions such as "and" or "but" to start a sentence. In formal English, try to start sentence with "additionally," (or "moreover") "nevertheless," and "alternatively." In casual writing, you can start sentences with "also," but avoid this in formal English unless the word "also" is modifying a verb (usually in the imperative mood): "Also read Chapters Two and Three." Coordinating conjunctions are meant to join words and phrases, so a coordinating conjunction is left dangling without a role to play when a sentence begins with a coordinating conjunction. Simply attach the sentence that starts with a coordinating conjunction to the previous sentence; this produces a compound sentence. You also may use "additionally," "also," "either," "though," and "however" instead of starting with "and" and "but." You should tuck the words "also" and "however" in your sentence, not using them to start a sentence. "Though," coming at the very end of your sentence, can prove a painless alternative to starting your sentence with "but": "The passive voice can make your writing more formal. It can cause you problems, though."
=>
Develop short, choppy sentences into longer, more graceful sentences. Formal writing generally uses longer sentences than casual writing. To make your writing more formal, try using more compound and complex sentences. Try to develop two simple sentences into one compound or complex sentence. Long sentences add variety to your writing. A long sentence can be particularly effective when it is paired with a short sentence; the contrast grabs the readers’ attention. As the last sentence shows, you also can use a semicolon to join two simple sentences.
=>
Avoid clichés. Clichés are sayings or expressions. Clichés make your writing informal and sometimes humorous. They often make your writing unoriginal, but sometimes, you can use them to make an original play-on-words. Here are some clichés to avoid in formal writing:
*Hercules was as strong as an ox.
*I have to give an arm and a leg to find a parking spot during the holiday season.
*It was as pretty as a picture.
=>
Avoid stage directions. Do not commence a letter by telling the recipient what you plan to do in the letter or begin an essay by telling the reader what the paper will discuss.
*"I am writing to you to ask you to. . . ."
*"This paper is going to talk about how. . . ."
=>
Avoid vague words. Vague words can be described as words that are open to interpretation or that do not express your ideas as well as more precise words would. "A few" or "enough" sometimes can be replaced by something more precise.

===== Common Colloquial Words & Expressions =====

A lot, alot – "A lot" is a colloquialism; "alot" is a nonword. After all, would you write, "Alittle"? "A lot" should be avoided in formal English, and "alot" should be avoided by any writer who hopes to use correct English. "A lot" can be replaced by "many," "several," "numerous," "a large number," and "a large amount."

Ain't – "Ain’t" is always wrong. "Ain’t" should not appear in the written language except in discourse.
Sayfa başına dön Aşağa gitmek
https://pislickler.forumdizini.com
Kaan
$éF
$éF
Kaan

Erkek Mesaj Sayısı : 392
Yer : GooGLé !
Lakap : CyberVirüS

MesajKonu: Geri: how to avoid colloqual(informal) writing   how to avoid colloqual(informal) writing Icon_minitimeCuma Mart 07, 2008 10:17 pm

Alright, all right – "Alright" is a solecism; "all right" is a colloquialism. "Alright" should be avoided in the written language, and "all right" should be avoided in all formal language. "Okay" and "OK" are also very informal. Replace these words with "fine" or "acceptable" in formal English. When writing dialogue, be sure to write "all right," not "alright." There is one time when you must use "alright," and that is when you quote text from an author who made the mistake.

Anyways – The proper word is "anyway." "Anyways" is always the incorrect variant and should be avoided in the written language.
Anybody, anyone – "Anyone" and its variants are more formal than "anybody" and its variants. This is because the word "body" derives from German whereas the word "one" derives from Latin."
*I didn't see anybody.
*I saw no one.

As – Avoid using "as" for "because" in formal English. Try replacing "as" with "for." Do not forget to use a comma before the coordinating conjunction "for," but leave the comma out if you use the subordinate conjunction "because."

Big, large great – All three of these words are acceptable in formal English, but "large" is more formal than "big," and "great" is more formal than "large."

Buy – "Buy" is not a colloquialism; it is a normal word . . . but it often can be replaced by something more formal. For variety, replace some of your uses of "buy" with "acquire" or "purchase."

Contraption – Surprisingly, "contraption" is a colloquialism (although it is a long, Latin-derived word). Some dictionaries mark it as such; others do not. In your formal writing, try to replace it with "device."

Could of, would of, should of – The correct phrases are "could have," "would have," and "should have." "Could of" and the others should be avoided in all writing. In mimicking speech, use "could’ve," "would’ve," and "should’ve." You even can use "couldn’t’ve," "wouldn’t’ve," and "shouldn’t’ve."

Cute – The adjective "cute" is colloquial. In formal English, try to replace it with "adorable."

Fire – Some uses of "fire" are colloquial. In formal English, say that you were dismissed, not fired. Also avoid using "fire" for "throw" when you try to write formally.

Fellow – Avoid using "fellow" when you mean, "A person." Calling somebody a fellow is more formal than calling him or her a dude, but "fellow" is still a colloquialism.

For sure – Replace "for sure" with "with certainty" in formal writing, as in "I know with certainty." You also may write, "I am positive" or "I am sure."
Get, obtain – Sometimes, "get" is used for "obtain." In that case, you can use "find" or "grab" in formal writing and "obtain" or "procure" in extremely formal writing.

Get, understand – Do not use "get" for "understand" unless the context is very informal. In the most formal writing, "understand" is replaced by "comprehend."

Gonna, wanna – These are are contractions of "going to" and "want to." They are unacceptable in all writing except in dialogue. If the speaker truly did say, "I’m gonna go to the supermarket," write it down that way.

Got – "Got" is a colloquialism. Replace it with "have," as in "Do you have (not got) an extra pen?"

How come – Replace "how come" with "why" in formal writing. In formal speech, you may find "how so" useful. If you find that you are about to use "how come," just use "how so."
*How come you ordered steak?
*Why did you order steak?
*I don’t know how come he ordered steak.
*I don’t know why he ordered steak.

How do you do – Ironically, "How do you do?" is formal, and "a how-do-you-do" is informal.

Humongous – The word is slang and is thus unacceptable in all levels of formality. Use "enormous" or "massive."

Introduce, present – "Present" is more formal than "introduce." It is also more respectful to the person presented.
*The queen was introduced. . . .
*The queen was presented. . . .

Kid – Whether a verb or noun, "kid" is not appropriate in formal writing. Replace "kid" with "child" or "joke."
*I saw a kid on a skateboard.
*I saw a child on a skateboard.
*I’m kidding!
*I am joking!

Kinda, kind of, sorta, sort of – "Kinda" and "sorta" should not appear in the written language except in dialog. "Kind of" and "sort of" are unacceptable in formal writing when they are synonymous "somewhat" and "rather." "Kind of" and "sort of" are perfectly acceptable in all kinds of writing when they are used in a sentence such as "The parakeet is a kind of bird."

Let – When used in place of "allow" or "permit," "let" is a colloquialism. Use "allow" in formal writing and "permit" in extremely formal writing.

Like – In the written language, avoid using "like" for "as" or "such as." In casual writing, "like" may replace "as if," as in "It’s like he never existed."

Madam, Ma’am – Both "madam" and "ma’am" are very polite forms of address . . . but "ma’am" is unacceptable in formal English. In fact, "ma’am" is much more informal than other contractions such as "I’m" and "I’ll."

Most – In formal English, do not use "most" for "almost." You should write, "Almost everybody likes pizza," not "Most everybody likes pizza."

On the other hand – "On the other hand" is a very common phrase, but should be avoided in extremely formal English. You sometimes will need to use "conversely" or "by contrast." "On the other hand" is particularly useful in everyday writing, though. Beginning a sentence with "on the other hand" can elimination the temptation to start with "but."

Pretty – The use of "pretty" as an adverb is not appropriate in formal writing. Replace it with "relatively," "fairly," or "quite." Sometimes, "pretty" should be deleted and not replaced; some of your sentences will be better with fewer adverbs.

Real, really – Do not misuse "real" for "really." Remember that "real" is an adjective, and "really" is an adverb. Sometimes, it is best just to delete "real."

Shall, will, should, would – You usually use "shall" in the first person and "will" in the second and third person. The only time you use "will" in the first person is when you hope really to emphasize a statement. For example, you would say, "I shall go to the grocery and buy some milk," but "I will retaliate!" The same is true for "should" and "would." In everyday writing, "I shall" or "I should" may sound pompous, so just contract them. Just use "I’ll" or "I’d," and avoid "I won’t" and "I wouldn’t." You even can say, "I’ll not do it" and "I’d not do that if I were you."

So – Avoid using "so" as a synonym for "very" in extremely formal writing. In perfectly formal writing, you also should avoid using "so" as a coordinating conjunction. You can eliminate this colloquialism by deleting "so" and beginning the sentence with "because." Compare "The song may bother me, so I’ll cover my ears" and "Because the song may bother me, I shall cover my ears." Sometimes, you need the conjunction "that" after "so," as in "I wrote this how-to so that you could improve your grammar and style."

Thus, thusly – Usually, the words ending "-ly" are more formal. For example, "firstly" is more formal than "first." This is not the case for "thus," though; in formal writing, use "thus," not "thusly."

Until, till, ‘till" – In everyday writing, use "until" or "till" depending on your preference. "Until" is preferred in formal writing. "‘Til" is not a real word, to be avoided in all writing, including dialog; use it only when you quote text from an author who used it.

Use – Like "buy," "use" is a normal word, but can be replaced by something more formal. Try to replace some instances of "use" with "make use of," "employ," and "utilize." Remember that when "use" is a noun in your sentence, you replace it with "utilization."

Use to – The proper form of this phrase, in writing, should be "used to." In speech, the "d" is sometimes silent, which makes for the confusion in writing.
*"As a child, I use to go to nursery school."
*"As a child, I used to go to nursery school."

Whereas – "Whereas" can boost the formality of your writing! For variety, replace some of your uses of "while" and "although" with "whereas."
The passive voice is wordy while the active voice is concise
The passive voice is wordy whereas the active voice is concise.

Yeah – "Yeah" should be restricted to very informal writing. Replace "yeah" with "yes."

Yours truly – Ironically, signing a letter "Yours truly" is formal, but referring to yourself as "yours truly" is informal. Still, "Sincerely" is a more formal signature than "Yours truly" because it avoids the second person. "Yours truly" can be very useful in informal English because the proper pronouns sometimes sound wrong. You can say, "It’s yours truly!" instead of "It’s me!" because "yours truly" can be used for "I" and "me."

------------- EXAMPLES ----------

An informal letter:

John,

I’m looking for a job, and I’ve heard through the grapevine that you need a workhorse for your shop. Well, I’m the man of the hour, as I’ve got a lot to offer. I’m pretty hard-working, and I’m really good about being on time. I’m also used to working by myself. Anyway, tell me whether you want to get together for an interview, okay?

-Informal Joe

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

A formal, professional letter:

Dear John:

I understand that you are looking for a strong worker to assist you in your shop. I should appreciate consideration because I am diligent, punctual, and accustomed to working with minimal supervision. Please contact me if you are interested in setting up an interview. I thank you for your time.

Respectfully,

Professional Joe

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<
https://pislickler.forumdizini.com
WolF's _Rain

WolF's _Rain

Mesaj Sayısı : 1879
Yer : !S†ânßuL
Lakap : mC !hânê†
Kayıt tarihi : 03/03/08

MesajKonu: Geri: how to avoid colloqual(informal) writing   how to avoid colloqual(informal) writing Icon_minitimeÇarş. Mart 12, 2008 10:51 pm

ßu ne Kaan
come_rap

come_rap

Kadın Mesaj Sayısı : 1497
Yaş : 31
Yer : yen!boSna
Kayıt tarihi : 06/03/08

MesajKonu: Geri: how to avoid colloqual(informal) writing   how to avoid colloqual(informal) writing Icon_minitimeC.tesi Mart 15, 2008 10:29 pm

valla hiç bişi anlamadım Surprised
WolF's _Rain

WolF's _Rain

Mesaj Sayısı : 1879
Yer : !S†ânßuL
Lakap : mC !hânê†
Kayıt tarihi : 03/03/08

MesajKonu: Geri: how to avoid colloqual(informal) writing   how to avoid colloqual(informal) writing Icon_minitimePaz Mart 16, 2008 1:00 pm

ßenDe
:d
aNDerK
$éF
$éF

Mesaj Sayısı : 664
Yer : İstanbul
Lakap : TutKu

MesajKonu: Geri: how to avoid colloqual(informal) writing   how to avoid colloqual(informal) writing Icon_minitimeSalı Mart 25, 2008 7:22 pm

anLaşıLmıycak ßişey ne yazıyosa o işte Exclamation
https://pislickler.forumdizini.com/

how to avoid colloqual(informal) writing
Sayfa başına dön 
1 sayfadaki 1 sayfası

Bu forumun müsaadesi var:Bu forumdaki mesajlara cevap veremezsiniz
 :: •Eğitim - Öğretim Bölümü• :: İngilizce.-
Buraya geçin: